Monday, April 11, 2011

Banana-Coffee Scones with Coffee Glaze

Oh my goodness YUM.
I am still working my way through over 20 bananas (well, we're down to about 7 now) that are ripe and perfect for baking with (don't ask. I went a little overboard buying bananas one day).
After baking 3 batches of banana muffins last week (and eating all of them!) I am quite sick of banana muffins.

So out of it came these glorious banana-coffee scones. I love a good scone. Who doesn't?
The real question is, do you say "skOHne" or "scawn"? I say the former. But I have feeling the real distinguished folk say the latter.
Regardless, YUM.


Here's the recipe:

Banana-Coffee Scones with Coffee Glaze
adapted from epicurean.com

2 cups all purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter (cold)
1/2 cup mashed banana (or 1 medium-large sized banana)
1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk (I had some sour milk to use up and it worked great)
1/3 cup strong black coffee at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. When you are done this step, stick the whole bowl in the fridge (if you can) as it will keep the butter nice and cold until you're ready to mix in the wet mixture.
In a separate bowl, combine banana, milk, coffee and vanilla; add to the dry mixture, stirring lightly to make a moist dough.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough lightly for about 30 seconds. Roll out the dough to 1/2 inch thickness; cut into 3 inch rounds and place on a lightly greased baking sheet (or you can use parchment paper which is what I did - love me some parchment paper). Bake in 425F oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Makes about 10 scones.

Glaze (optional, but delicious!):

Leftover coffee (I ended up using about 1/4 cup but you don't need that much).
Enough icing sugar to make a runny glaze

You can add in some milk, but I just wanted to glaze my scones with a bit more coffee flavour.
Whisk the coffee and icing sugar together until combined.
Place scones on top of a cooling rack with the baking sheet underneath.
With a spoon, pour the glaze over top each scone until each one is mostly covered.

Let harden slightly and enjoy while still warm. With a cup of coffee, preferably.

5 comments:

  1. my grandma says "scawn."

    um, tell me about the banana/coffee taste combo...i'm nervous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all about the "skOHne."

    And these look amazing. I can't live without bananas. Or coffee. The combo should have been more obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth - the combo is amazing! If you like both bananas and coffee, the combo is absolutely perfect. I wondered how it would taste, but I LOVE it.
    Nadine - you should make these. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have at least 10 bananas in my freezer & will be making these, possibly tonight!

    Saturday I made these...did you also post this recipe or was it someone else???

    Whole Wheat Banana Choc Chip Oat Muffins:
    http://karynanntomlinson.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/whole-wheat-banana-and-dark-chocolate-muffins/

    SO DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yep, Tara that was me. They are so good, eh? Mm! I was surprised with how light they were despite being made with whole wheat flour AND oats!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...