Sunday, November 9, 2008

Butternut Squash Soup Recipe

So some have asked for this delicious Butternut Squash Soup, so here it is:



INGREDIENTS

* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

* 2 tablespoons butter

* 1 cup sliced onions (I included ¾ cup green onions instead)

* 3/4 cup sliced leeks (I didn’t include these, but will try next time including them)

* 2 1/2 cups peeled, seeded and cubed butternut squash (I just used one large butternut squash)

* 1/2 cup dry white wine

* 5 cups chicken broth

* 1 pinch ground cinnamon

* 1 pinch ground ginger

* 1 pound cheese filled spinach ravioli (I used cheese and asparagus ravioli)

* 3/4 cup light cream

* salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. Place the cumin seeds and nutmeg in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook until lightly browned. Stir in the butter, and saute the onions and leeks until tender. Mix in squash, wine, and chicken broth. Season with cinnamon and ginger. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add ravioli, and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

3. With a hand mixer, puree the soup mixture. Blend in light cream, and season with salt and pepper. Mix in the cooked ravioli just before serving.

Bon Appetit!



1 comment:

  1. So I made this soup today. Kind of. I'd have to rename it cream of vegetable soup.

    I didn't have any squash after all (it had gone bad!) so I used a head of broccoli, three potatoes, and a hand-full of baby carrots. I also didn't have white wine, so I used white wine vinegar - and only a little. I didn't use any noodles (but I'd like to add them when I serve the rest), and substituted the light cream for 2 tbsp of sour cream.

    I am really liking this soup and hope to get more feedback from my roommates.

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...