Monday, February 6, 2006

transformation


I am currently reading quite a few books right now, but one that I'm really enjoying is called, The Life You've Always Wanted by John Ortberg.
As I read the first chapter I knew that I would love and learn from this book.
John Ortberg is a great writer with a style of writing that flows with sincerity, wisdom and often traces of humour.
These are some quotes that really resonated with me when I read them.

"Now with God's help, I shall become myself" Soren Kierkegaard (quoted at the beginning of the chapter)
I love this quote. People always say that they're hoping to discover themselves when they travel or take time off from work or whatever it may be. But the only way we'll ever be the MOST of who we really are is when we go to God and ask Him to work His transforming power in our lives.

"I am disappointed with my ordinariness." p. 13
I have never read something that felt like someone was speaking my thoughts. For most of my life I have always liked who I am. Never really had any self-esteem problems. But I always felt ordinary. I've never felt like there is that one thing that I can do REALLY well or that sets me apart from everyone else.
I have a friend who paints and draws and even sings extrodinarily well. And I look at her and can see that this is something that makes her special. The tangible gifts are always so much more easy to pinpoint and say, "There! That's it. That's what makes me special. What makes me, me."
So to read this sentence, this simple sentence in a book written by a man who is a pastor at one of the largest churches in North America (Willowcreek) and has written so many books that have all sold quite well, opened my eyes. Maybe this is something that all of us feel to a certain degree.
Regardless, the rest of the chapter gave me hope that I can be transformed into that someone special, unique and ... UNordinary.

"The possibility of transformation is the essence of hope." p. 22
So true. And I love this next quote;

"We are pregnant with possibilities of spiritual growth and moral beauty so great that they cannot be adequately described as anything less than the formation of Christ in our very lives." p. 23
Read it again if you would. What a breathtaking description of the life of a Christian. My heart beat speeds up and I can feel the hairs raised on the back of my neck.
How glorious is our God! How loving that He should send His only son to redeem us. To make us joint heirs with Christ. To pursue us after we had already rejected Him.
Wow. I am in awe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...