Sunday, October 17, 2010

the one where I run a 10k race

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
So I do not run aimlessly...but I discipline my body and keep it under control.

1 Cor. 9:24, 26-27

Yesterday was the big race. The Toronto Zoo 10k. And I did it. Not only did I finish the race, but I completed it in under an hour! Okay, so I squeaked in at 59:56 but still! Under an hour!
I'm completely thrilled with my time and so proud that I was able to accomplish this 15 months after Jude was born. I'm also really happy with my time given that the last 5k was almost entirely UP HILL.
There was a point just after 6k that I felt the need to cough but when I did all of a sudden I couldn't breathe and I had to stop and walk and breathe again. For about 10 seconds I walked and mentally prepared myself to start running again. And then as quickly as it started, I was able to breathe properly again and started running again.

The last couple kilometers seemed to go on FOREVER. But it was amazing what a bit of encouragement from the people on the sidelines did for my motivation. As I came to the finish line my legs picked up the pace and were moving as if they were not a part of my body. I sprinted. I finished 4 seconds shy of my goal.

I definitely didn't come in first place (the guy who did finished in about 29 minutes. insane.) but I did get a medal to prove that I did it. And it felt really good. (Although I'm ridiculously sore today!)

Run in such a way as to get the prize.



10 comments:

  1. Wow! Congratulations for your time and for all the training you had to go through before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good on you V!
    I'm super encouraged by this post. I went on my first run the other day since Lily was born and it was HARD. Only 2Km or maybe even less and I felt like I was going to die... maybe in 13 months I'll be running a 10km though, who knows? You're inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome job Vanessa! so when's the half marathon :) 10 km is a good run - i'm taking my time working up to that for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Em - you can so do it! There are usually lots of races in the spring so start now and you'll totally be running 10k by then!
    @Michelle - a 1/2 is my next goal - I'd love to do one in the spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOOHOO! I want to be like you when I grow up!!! :) hehe! So proud of you Vaness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WAHOO!! And in under an hour. That is SO awesome!

    Doing my first 10K on 11/13. Definitely won't do it in that time tho... Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job Vanessa!!!!! And you could totally train for a half already, I mean, you are almost halfway there. Before October 2009, I never had and absolutely found every reason not to do it. A challenge by my Shrinking Jeans Sisters forced me into the running arena and I haven't looked back! I started running in October 2009, ran my 1st race in NOv 2009 (a 5 miler). I ran my 1st half in June 2010 with a messed hip. Now comes my second half, just 13 months after beginning this journey.

    You can totally do it, if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome work Vanessa!! I can't believe the race has already came and went and you did it! Yippee! It seems like just yesterday you said you were going to do the race.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so proud of you!! Run with your eyes fixed firmly on the prize in everything!! I want to see that medal!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!
If you're commenting as "Anonymous" please make sure to sign your name under your comment so I know who you are!
Happy day to you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...