So the other day I found this book in the library called Bite me and was immediately drawn into the witty comments and preambles as well as the amazing food photography and mouth-watering recipes.
I signed the book out and today made this recipe from it that astonishingly had Noah eating chicken. I kid you not. The Boy Who Shall Not Eat Chicken actually ate chicken!
So I took a quick snap of it and wanted to share it with you!
Make this and enjoy!
adapted from Bite me cookbook
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 1/2 cups sour cream (I used whatever sour cream I had left and made up the difference with plain yogurt - either work fine)
2 tbsp packed brown sugar
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp chopped fresh thyme (I only had the dried stuff, so I did a quick sprinkling of it)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
finely chopped jalapeno peppers to your liking
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. for the chicken, place the chicken between 2 sheets of wax paper and pound to even thickness, about 1/2 inch thick (do this. it made a huge difference!)
2. in a large bowl, combine sour cream, brown sugar, chili powder, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic powder. add chicken and toss to coat, cover and let marinade in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
3. preheat oven to 425 degreesF. line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
4. in a large bowl, combine bread crumbs, tortilla crumbs, cheddar and jalapenos. remove chicken from marinade and coat each piece with the breadcrumb mixture, pressing down so coating sticks well to each piece. place on the prepared baking sheet and bake 20-23 minutes, until golden and cooked through.
5. for the avocado dip, place all ingredients in a food processor, blender or immersion blender-safe container (i used the immersion blender and it worked fabulously). blend until smooth.
serve alongside chicken but if you're not eating it immediately, place avocado pit in the bowl to keep the dip from turning brown (neat trick, eh?). cover and refrigerate until ready to use. this dip yields 2 cups.